Sunday, June 15, 2008

Myths of Love, Peace, and Cynicism

I was a Christian for forty years, and depending on how I want to slice it I still might be. I stumbled on what became the obvious, however: that it was not true in the sense that I had been trained, and that the Bible had trained me, to require it to be. But the details of that are more numerous than the sands of the sea, and I do not think even Abraham's descendents and I could count them all.

But there is something still compelling about noble myths, and it would be heartwarming to be able to participate in something larger than the universe again. It would be nice to live in a divinely ordered, divinely contained world. How secure and wonderful to be so significant. I think that the need for such comfort is deeply rooted in the human psyche, and that is why myths of every sort, whether religious, environmental, nationalistic, egotistical, evolutionary, ad infinitum, will continue to be endemic to our species. I am not above it, either, for even during moments of debilitating cynicism I am therein taking comfort in a grand myth of understanding, of seeing through meaning itself, as though it were within my grasp.

I think we need to give ourselves a little leeway to take comfort in our myths. The sad part is, though, that our myths alienate us and put us in competition with people whose comfort lies in myths that are seemingly incompatible with our own. Our myths divide us, put us into clans, set us in competition, and put us at odds. Our myths, even peaceful and loving ones, are ultimately what justify our aggressions, our protectionisms, our hostilities. Our gods endorse us and condemn our competitors. Of course, we do not frame it that way: “I came not to condemn the world," for example. "He who rejects me is condemned already.” How gracious are our gods. How pitiful our enemies. Our frame wholly validates our de facto rejection of those who are alien and threatening to our zones of comfort and identity.

But we cannot afford to dwell on this darker side of our myths of peace and love, else we expose our in-groups of significance as terrifyingly bankrupt. At least on our better days the light that is in us is not too dark. And that is true of the people of any myth, even mine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I remember those days when you were a Christian as well...

I would like to return to those days...for both of us.

3:33 PM, September 30, 2008  
Blogger Tim Elston said...

Hey, Phil. Thanks for the comment. When I first read it I wondered whether you were saying that you remember when you were a Christian, too, implying that you are not now one. But after reading it for the second time I'm not sure if you are saying that. Shoot me an email at rDOTtimDOTelstonATgmailDOTcom. I'd like for us to exchange contact information again. I lost all of my friends' contact information when my old hard drive crashed. Would love to get an e-mail from you.

6:40 PM, September 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

How you slice it, would seem to boil down to belief in the resurrection...faith in the God who raised Jesus from the dead. The question seems to be one of theodicy. This was the very question faced by Habbakuk to which God replied that 'the just by faith will live.' The difference between the LXX and the Hebrew is interesting.

Paul is concerned to show in Romans that God HAS been just in his covenant dealings with Abraham.

Those who would justify aggression on the basis of religion have missed the message of the cross which is that the pain of the world must be borne in ones self to be defeated. I call this inverse thought (Jesus touched on this - the first shall be last and the last first).

God's logic is higher than our logic. Hence sin and evil is defeated by allowing it to exhaust its power against us (as Jesus did on the cross).

We see, particularly in Acts 2, a reversal of fortunes as well as a reversal of Babel (that's a neat study in itself).

What we find on the cross though, as I see it, is the God who created the universe bearing in himself the pain and the effects of sin on his good creation.

Just a few thoughts. I would be interested if you affirm the physical resurrection. The more I study, the more convinced I am that the resurrection is a historical fact. Thoughts?

4:04 AM, November 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might add that I think that what happened in the death and resurrection is the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy that God would create a new heavens and a new earth.

4:06 AM, November 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home