Saturday, January 19, 2008

How humans are not primarily logically oriented

I agree with a point a friend recently made about how people's view of reality is as much or more a product of the imagination as it is of logic. I don't believe that our species functions predominantly logically. In fact, I don't think that the concept of God is a starting point that differentiates theists' and my modes of living, at least not as a logical starting point. I think that we rather commonly function in terms of the more or less unconscious biological realities in which our creaturely life is grounded. It is no wonder to me, then, that God is conceived in common experience to endorse and even mandate actions that serve such impulses as self-perservation, the desire to attain and flourish, and even to defeat presumed enemies by whatever means necessary. Since our existence is grounded biologically, our impulse is to preserve our biological well-being, and our imaginations, whether about God or anything else, will always ultimately be in the service of this impulse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home