Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Republican demagoguery, by half

Am I the only one wondering this, or are there others who are looking askance at the Republican and Democratic parties' decisions to take away electoral votes from Michigan voters as punishment for the state's decision to move its primaries up to January 15? I am sure that there are good reasons why a political party thinks that its interests are more important than the votes of citizens. Those good reasons now join my good reasons for thinking that political parties are, and always have been, travesties of American mythic ideals. At least, though, I can thank the parties for demonstrating their priorities. The Party first; the People second. George Washington and John Adams would be warmed, I'm sure.

I heard some Democrats speaking about the irrelevance of the Michigan primary to the election of their nominee. Had the Republicans been the party categorically to deny the citizens of Michigan a right to participate in the election of a presidential nominee, these Democrats would probably have followed their normal pattern of taking the opportunity to denounce Republicans for yet another act of evil. But this time, by at least a numeric calculation, Republicans were demagogues only by a fraction of what the Democrats were: Republicans let Michigan have half its delegates, while Democrats denied them all. For my friends, apparently, this Democratic act of demagoguery did not deserve comment, let alone, I suspect, rouse the faintest moral neuron.

"My party good; your party bad. Ooo-ooo, aah-aah. Ooo-ooo, me see banana."

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil Hoover said...

As usual, you are correct in your assumptions and conclusions....

8:30 AM, January 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home